Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Partying With Jockeys

If you've never been to Jakarta the term "three-in-one jockey" probably won't ring a bell, but if you have, you'll clap your hands and squeal with delight at the prospect of hearing about those guys on NPR. At least I did.

For the uninitiated, three-in-one jockeys are folks who stand at the roadside and will ride in your car with you so you can get through areas of the city that are closed to vehicles with fewer than three people during rush hour. It's a shitty job, but lots of people do it, and it's a classic Jakarta fix to the problem of government regulations threatening to prevent you from doing whatever the hell you want.

Just last week I engaged the services of what I now think is the New York equivalent to the three-in-one jockey: At the Clinton/Washington C stop, a guy was hanging out nonchalantly by the ticket machine on the city-bound side. When I went to put some money in he walked up to me.

"You buying a single ride?"

"Yes."

"How about you give me two dollars instead and I'll get you in."

"Ok then."

He took me to the emergency exit gate, grabbed a stick he'd hidden above the turnstyle, reached around and sprung the gate open. I handed him the $2 and we both went on our way, I having saved 50 cents and he having made a sale.

I'm all for city services, and I understand they won't get funded enough if we don't pay for them, but I still like these small-scale circumventions. As long as the MTA insists on raising fares while cutting service, I'm going to jump the turnstyle when it's convenient. And as long as Jakarta makes a bunch of traffic policies that it can't enforce instead of just building a subway system, I say three-in-one jockeys should be seen as the true heros of rush hour.

Photo via MSNBC

1 comment:

  1. best part is, i was on the other side and could have let you in for free...

    ReplyDelete